Updates from November, 2018 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • admin 23:44 on 27/11/2018  

    TORONTO – In the hours after the Conservative government announced it would conditionally approve the Northern Gateway proposal, Canadians’ opinions were splitalmost equally into thirds – but most said the oil pipeline would be built regardless of public opinion.

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    Related

    • Northern Gateway a ‘maybe,’ Conservative spokesman says

    • Northern Gateway: Could the feds be any less pumped about this pipeline?

    • GALLERY: Large anti-pipeline protest following Northern Gateway decision

    And the poll comes after a spokesman for Natural Resources Minister Greg Rickford told Global News the government’s stance is just a “maybe,” rather than an approval.

    READ MORE: Northern Gateway a ‘maybe,’ Conservative spokesman says

    The Angus Reid Global (ARG) poll showed 37 per cent of people surveyed think the government’s decision to allow the pipeline to be built through Alberta and B.C. after meeting 209 conditions is right. Almost the same number, at 34 per cent, said the decision is wrong. But nearly one-third, at 29 per cent, said they aren’t sure.

    Forty-three per cent said the 209 conditions are enough to address concerns about the pipeline, but 37 per cent disagree. Another 20 per cent aren’t sure.

    The majority of Canadians polled, at 58 per cent, said environmental protection should take top priority in shaping Canada’s energy policy; 42 per cent said it should be economic growth.

    But the biggest agreement came regardless of views on approval: 68 per cent of respondents said they believe it will eventually be built.

    Support depends where you live

    As past polls have suggested, disdain for the pipeline is much higher in B.C. than oil producer-heavy Alberta: 40 per cent of British Columbians polled said the decision to go ahead was wrong (40 per cent of Quebecers responded the same), while only 18 per cent of Albertans shared that view.

    Meanwhile, the highest level of support came from Alberta, where 58 per cent of respondents said approval is the right decision. But the split opinion is also seen within B.C.: A surprisingly high 38 per cent of British Columbians said the approval was the right decision.

    In the rest of Canada, highest opposition after B.C. and Quebec was Ontario at 35 per cent. Saskatchewans and Manitobans replied more similarly to Albertans, with 44 per cent supporting the feds’ approval.

    Take Our Poll

     
  • admin 23:44 on 27/11/2018  

    The man who is alleged to have shot his former boss in Yaletown last week is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week. His court date set for today has been put over until Monday.

    Sixty-one-year-old Gerald Mark Battersby was shot multiple times in a standoff with Vancouver police officers near Science World after allegedly shooting his former boss — 52-year-old owner of Reckless Cycles Paul Dragan — in front of a coffee shop on Davie Street and Marinaside Crescent moments earlier.

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    Battersby has been charged with six counts of attempted murder, one for the attempted murder of Dragan and five counts of attempted murder in relation to police officers involved in the shootout.

    At a hearing this morning, the Crown asked that Battersby be remanded in custody, but the judge says he doesn’t have the authority to do so until he knows that the suspect has been informed of his right to a lawyer.

    Crown says Battersby hasn’t communicated he wants counsel.

    Battersby was expected to make his first court appearance last Friday. 

    In the aftermath of the shooting, police investigators suggested they were looking into the possibility mental health issues played a role in the incident.

    Battersby’s current employer Colin Barkhouse says he was recently evicted from a temporary shelter and was trying to get his life back together.

    He recently lost his job as a bike mechanic. After losing his job he got kicked out of a house where he lived with his brother and another roommate. Dragan was their landlord.

    Desperate and with nowhere to go, Battersby ended up in a shelter in North Vancouver last month. The shelter only offers temporary accommodations and Barkhouse said Battersby told him he was kicked out and ended up living on the street.

    Barkhouse said he never knew Battersby to own a gun and he never talked about wanting to harm Dragan.

    Dragan is currently recovering in hospital and is now off the critical list. Today, the Yaletown Business Improvement Association will be hosting an outdoor community BBQ in support of the victim.

    With files from Rumina Daya and Amy Judd

     
  • admin 23:44 on 27/11/2018  

    With the BC Teachers Union and the provincial government still far apart, and no more assistance from the union’s strike fund, some teachers are finding it difficult to make ends meet.

    To give teachers some relief, some teachers’ associations have set up food banks.

    Surrey Teachers’ Association President Jennifer Wadge says new teachers, single parents and two-teacher families are especially feeling the pinch.

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    Related

    • #thisismystrikepay – Teachers take to 桑拿会所 to show what they are fighting for

    • Full-scale strike by B.C. teachers now underway

    “Even though this is the second day of the full scale strike, teachers in Surrey have already lost three days of pay in the rotating strike as well as the 10 per cent that’s being deducted because of the employer lockout on days that teachers are working.”

    Wadge says she’s personally received a big pay cut as a result of the job action.

    “Teachers already have seen a significant reduction in their mid-month pay. I know for myself, my mid-month pay was about half of what it normally is.”

    She says donations to the food bank are coming from union members and other unions who have donated in the past.

    “We already know we have a lot of support from parents, and the public, so they are welcome to donate as well,” says Wadge.

    The association has already been giving out $75 grocery store gift cards to members in need over the past two weeks.

    The cards are paid for by the teachers’ association employees. Staff are having their pay deducted in solidarity with teachers, and using the saved wages to fund the gift card program.

    During the two-week teachers strike in 2005, the association also ran a food bank out of its Surrey office.

    It’s unclear when students will be back in class but the province says it’s reaching out to the BC Teachers Federation.

    The BCTF says it will update its members today on meetings with provincial negotiators and both sides say they are ready to talk.

    B.C’s education minister is calling on the union to release a fully-costed proposal on the table, something he says has not been done yet.

    WATCH: BC teachers are bracing for a long walk on the picket line even as their strike fund runs out. Randene Neill reports.

     
  • admin 23:44 on 27/11/2018  

    According to Mexican national team coach Miguel Herrera, there’s no room for sex when it comes to soccer and the World Cup.

    There are early mornings, long days of practice and a strict diet that coaches traditionally put their teams on. And then there’s the month-long stretch of no sex that Herrera enforced on team Mexico for the 2014 World Cup.

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    Related

    • The Olympic victory stance: the universal sign of pride or dominance?

    • Women are attracted to men with deep voices, but only for a fling: study

      Beards aren’t attractive to women and scare other men away, study suggests

    “If a player can’t go one month or 20 days without having sexual relations, then they are not prepared to be a professional player. All the players we have selected have a pretty good resume, they all have won great things, they have been champions, and they know what we want to achieve,” Herrera told Mexican newspaper Reforma.

    “So then we will not be looking for sex or having sex at the World Cup just to have it, we are going to go after what we came for, a competition that gives us the opportunity to rise above and do something great,” he explained.

    READ MORE: 8 ways global health officials want you to celebrate the World Cup

    Maybe it zaps you of your energy. Or it strips you of a competitive edge on game day. Or it leaves you lusting for more while you’re on the field.

    For whatever reason, athletes tend to abstain from sex before game day. Muhammed Ali, allegedly, wouldn’t have sex for weeks before a fight. During the 2010 World Cup, Argentinian soccer players were allowed to have sex with their wives and girlfriends, but English players were only allowed to see their partners just once post-game and even less if they were on a winning streak.

    “Coaches like to control the situation and rightly or wrongly, there is this belief that having sex before a competition can affect an athlete’s performance,” Dr. Todd Loughead told Global News. He’s a sports psychologist at the University of Windsor in Ontario. There, he’s part of a lab focusing on enhancing athlete performance to make sure they compete at their best while enjoying the experience.

    “For many countries at the World Cup, soccer is religion and teams want their players to stay focused, so they may see sex as a distraction,” he explained.

    READ MORE: The 6 most common regrets men and women have after sex

    But is there science behind that theory?

    In 2000, Canadian sports medicine specialist Dr. Ian Shrier studied how sex the night before competition affects performance.

    He wrote that the abstinence ritual is more or less a “long-standing myth” that sexual frustration might boost an athlete’s aggression.

    Dr. Kate Hays says that, as far as she knows, there is no concrete evidence in favour of abstinence for better game play.

    A decades-old study dating back to 1968 had men squeeze a device that measured force — sex or no sex the night before, the men performed all the same.

    Sex doesn’t exert too much energy, either. A Canadian study pegged 30 minutes of sex at between 90 and 120 calories. (Unless, of course, you’re having acrobatic sex, which Brazil officials have banned before World Cup matches.)

    In some cases, having sex might even make players sleep better and relax.

    Or it could have more to do with camaraderie.

    READ MORE: Having sex is all about quality, not quantity: Canadian study

    “It becomes a team aspect too. Does it add some level of bonding if you’ve got certain restrictions? Does it make us more capable as a team?” Hays, a Toronto-based sports psychologist who runs the Performing Edge clinic, told Global News.

    “They think it works, whether I think it works is a whole other question.”

    Collectively, the shared experience of avoiding women and sex may bring the team closer. Giving up sex to focus on soccer is just one of the many superstitions athletes will take to heart when the stakes are high.

    “These are all beliefs, they’re not based on actuality. It may relate to when you sleep, what you eat, what you wear, what you say, who you speak to,” Hays listed.

    READ MORE: This one tip will improve your sex life, Canadian researcher suggests

    At the heart of it, being game-ready has to more to do with managing the “appropriate level of energy and intensity for being able to focus and deliver at the moment,” Hays explained. How teams get there is at their own will.

    So do the men have a backup plan? Bosnia’s coach — who was also quoted saying “there will be no sex in Brazil” — is offering a consolation prize.

    “They can find another solution, they can even masturbate if they want,” he told British outlets.

    Read more World Cup coverage here.

    [email protected]桑拿按摩
    Follow @Carmen_Chai

     
  • admin 23:44 on 27/11/2018  

    Watch above: After two tornadoes touched down in southern Ontario in just one week, Mark Carcasole looks at whether the twisters are becoming more frequent. 

    TORONTO – If a tornado touches down and there’s no one around to see or hear it, was it really there?

    The United States gets the most tornadoes, annually, of any country in the world – but Canada comes in second.

    On average, the U.S. reports about 1,300 tornadoes a year. While Canada reports a mere 80 annually, the real number is expected to be much higher: So much of the country is uninhabited that meteorologists suspect many tornadoes go unreported.

    READ MORE: A look at tornadoes in Canada

    Our country even has two tornado alleys: One, in Ontario, stretches from Windsor northeast toward eastern Ontario. Another is spread out across Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

    Most tornadoes in Canada occur in southern Ontario and the Prairies.

    Environment Canada

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    Related

    • State of emergency lifted but tornado cleanup continues in Angus

    • Did Environment Canada give enough warning for Angus tornado?

    • Western University facility creates mini tornadoes

    On average about 17 tornadoes occur annually across Ontario and Quebec. In the Prairies, that number jumps up to about 43 a year.

    READ MORE: State of emergency lifted but tornado cleanup continues in Angus

    But are we actually seeing an increase in tornado activity across Canada?

    The answer is complicated: Better technology makes them easier to detect and predict.

    “What we do say is that we’re better able now to detect them, to be aware of where they occur. … And we’re better able to forecast them,” Peter Kimbell, warning preparedness meteorologist with Environment Canada, told Global News. “So all those things put together makes our database gathering and forecasting a lot better now. But it doesn’t really speak to how many occurred in the past.”

    Kimbell also believes that with the popularity of tornadoes on the rise, there are more people chasing them, which increases the likelihood of tornado reporting, something the agency calls “ground-truthing.”

    “If we use a spotter report of a tornado today, well, guess what? I don’t think there were many people chasing tornadoes, 20 years ago, 30 years ago, 50 years ago.”

    Environment Canada senior climatologist David Phillips said Ontario is in the same “climatic regime” as America’s tornado alley: warm, moist air mixed with colder, drier air. When these come together, along with other factors such as wind shear, they can make the atmosphere quite unstable, leading to severe thunderstorms, which can spawn tornadoes.

    “Tornadoes or severe thunderstorms don’t stop at the border,” Phillips added. “They come right in.”

    This map tracks 56 years of tornado paths throughout the United States. Many of those tornadoes or severe storms make their way across the boarder into Canada.

    John Nelson/IDV Solutions

    Kimbell said the Prairies also experience a similar climatic situation.

    “[The Prairies] have the warm moist air coming up in the summertime and they have the cold fronts, and they also have the dry air flowing off the mountains,” Kimbell said.

    Canada’s deadliest tornadoes

    Tornadoes are rated on the Enhanced Fujita Scale which ranges from an EF0 (the weakest, with winds between 64km to 116 km/h) to EF5 (the strongest with winds between 419 to 512 km/h).

    Only one F5 (this is before the scale was modified to the Enhanced Fujita scale) tornado has been reported – in Canada, in Elie, Man., on June 22, 2007. There were no deaths or injuries.

    The deadliest tornado in Ontario occurred in Windsor, Ont., on June 17, 1946. That F4 tornado killed 17 people. But three of the four deadliest tornadoes in Canada occurred in the Prairies: On June 30, 1912, in Regina (28 fatalities); Edmonton, AB, on July 31, 1987 (27 fatalities) and in Pine Lake, AB, on July 14, 2000 (12 fatalities).

    By comparison, the deadliest tornado in U.S. history occurred in the tri-state area (Missouri, Illinois and Indiana), killing 695 on March 18, 1925.

    Editor’s note: This story has been corrected to note that the deadliest tornado in Ontario occurred in Windsor. A previous version of the story left out the province specification.

     
c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
esc
cancel