Updates from September, 2019 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • admin 13:15 on 29/09/2019  

    Marvin Card has called the quiet southern Alberta community of Cardston home for the last several years. But on Wednesday morning he received a surprising knock on his front door.

    “I received a knock at the door and the RCMP and Disaster Services were coming around saying those that are close to the river are asked to prepare for evacuations,” said Card.

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    He was shocked to look outside and see a full-size tree with all of it’s leaves floating down the river. Officials told him his town of Cardston was put into a state of emergency due to the rising water levels of Lee Creek.

    He was then told his hometown of Cardston was put into a state of emergency due to the rising waters in Lee Creek. Card decided to stay put at home but told Global News he will watch the creek closely in the water reaches a more dangerous level.

    The creek peaked just after 4 a.m. Wednesday. Residents in the community say water levels rose very quickly. Most residents we spoke with say they’re not as concerned as they were last year because flood levels were much higher.

    “It does make me very nervous when the water starts getting up the creek like that. thats a real concern,” said local resident Joyce Johnson

    Johnson witnessed just how quickly the water levels increased. She lives close to the water’s edge and said her driveway was covered in water in a very short period of time.

    “When it started to come up on to this road and up towards our driveway then it gets really deep. You couldn’t get a vehicle out of here. The RCMP were concerned about that last night.”

    Resident we spoke to told us they have emergency kits prepared in case rain continues to fall and they are forced to leave their homes. Officials said the state of emergency will remain in place while they continue to monitor the weather situation in the area.

    Continue reading State of emergency remains in Cardston – Lethbridge
     
  • admin 13:15 on 29/09/2019  

    CALGARY- As the swollen Oldman River continues to wreak havoc in Lethbridge County, officials say the silver lining is that there is little risk of seeing historic flows.

    “This is good news, the river is not as strong as first predicted,” says Lethbridge Fire Chief Brian Cornforth. “Levels will continue to decrease as rainfall dissipates in the area.”

    Original forecasts predicted the Oldman River would flow at 4,500 cubic metres per second, but that has since been revised to just 1,800.

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    Related

    • State of Emergency continues in several southern Alberta communities

    • ‘Twice as much water, twice as much damage’: Claresholm residents hit by more flooding

    • High River not expected to flood, as rainfall warning ends

    • Medicine Hat residents may not need to evacuate homes, as flood fears ease

    However, the County of Lethbridge remains under a Local State of Emergency, with Claresholm seeing extensive damage and the Blood Tribe being evacuated.

    Some 250 homes have been affected, and the flooding has also proven disastrous for those who depend on the land. A number of large feed lot operations are underwater, and huge areas of farmland have been washed out.

    WATCH: Mayor Chris Spearman updates the flood situation

    Coalhurst. Courtesy of Shaunna Zonta.

    Copperwood, in Lethbridge. Courtesy of Sakeah James Kotuah.

    Highway 511. Courtesy of Werner J Dressler.

    Highway 511. Courtesy of Werner J Dressler.

    Taber. Courtesy of John Zacharias.

    Coaldale. Courtesy of Kristen Riemann

    Old Man River. Courtesy of Tori AnnMarie.

    Courtesy: Tori AnnMarie

    Continue reading Flooding in Lethbridge County leads to extensive damage
     
  • admin 13:15 on 29/09/2019  

    MANAUS, Brazil – Mario Mandzukic scored two goals Wednesday to keep Croatia in the mix at the World Cup with a 4-0 win over 10-man Cameroon, which will be going home after the group stage.

    Mandzukic, who returned to the team at the Arena da Amazonia after sitting out the opening loss to Brazil through suspension, headed in a corner from Danijel Pranjic in the 61st minute and then knocked in a rebound in the 73rd of the Group A game.

    Ivan Perisic also scored one goal and made another for Ivica Olic.

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    Cameroon was reduced to 10 men after midfielder Alex Song was given a red card for elbowing Mandzukic in the back in an off-the-ball incident in the 40th minute.

    SEE MORE: Complete scores and group standings 

    The team started without the injured Samuel Eto’o, the team’s best player.

    Croatia now has its future in its own hands. If the 1998 World Cup semifinalists beat Mexico on Monday, they will guarantee themselves a spot in the second round. The Mexicans will advance with only a draw.

    Cameroon is out, however, and can only play spoiler in its final match against five-time champion Brazil, also on Monday. If the 1990 World Cup quarterfinalists beat Brazil, the host country could still advance or be forced out of the tournament on goal difference.

    Darijo Srna started the move for the first goal, whipping a cross into the area from the right in the 11th minute. Mandzukic and Nicolas Nkoulou then collided while going for it, but the ball popped loose to Perisic. The Croatia midfielder stepped up and coolly slid the ball into the path of Olic to tap in.

    Perisic did it all himself early in the second half, beating Cameroon defender Dany Nounkeu to a long pass from goalkeeper Charles Itandje and taking it all the way back to where it came from.

    Perisic, with Nounkeu chasing him, ran into the area down the left and gave himself a tough angle before slipping his shot between Itandje and the near post in the 48th.

    Mandzukic was left unmarked to head home Croatia’s third goal and followed up with the simplest of tap-ins when Itandje spilled a shot from Eduardo.

    Cameroon knew it needed points against Croatia, and the team came out fast in an effort to take the early lead. Several dangerous attacks down the right flank caused concern to the Croatia defence early, but none of them materialized into any real danger.

    A few late chances came close, but nothing got past Croatia goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa.

    The loss of Eto’o, who came to Brazil with a right knee injury, was a blow to the team, however. Although Cameroon still went on the attack even without their best attacker, the finishing class of the former Chelsea and Barcelona striker was missing.

    The loss of Song didn’t help, either.

    The midfielder, well away from the ball, was running back from the Croatia end when he lashed out and elbowed Mandzukic in the back. Referee Pedro Proenca of Portugal immediately pulled out his red card and sent Song off.

    Song is the cousin of Cameroon great Rigobert Song, one of only two players to be sent off at two different World Cups. The other is Zinedine Zidane.

    ©2014The Canadian Press

    Continue reading WORLD CUP: Croatia beats Cameroon 4-0 in Group A – National
     
  • admin 13:15 on 29/09/2019  

    A high tech Kelowna company is hoping to create more jobs with the development of its newest product.

    Hyper Hippo Productions is a local gaming studio. It recently launched its latest online game and the response has been very good.

    “We have lots of players in Asia, a lot of players in Europe, a lot of players in North America. We have tens of thousands of players all over the world,” says game producer Paul Moore.

    Called “wild warfare”, the online game features armored animals going on a shooting rampage.

    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    “Wild warfare is a multi player first person shooter so it pits you and your friends against players all over the world in a match where you duke it out,” says Moore.

    The local gaming studio has developed nearly a dozen games since its inception a year and a half ago. But wild warfare has had the best response so far.

    With that kind of interest in the game, Hyper Hippo says it’s an opportunity to capitalize. It wants to make the game bigger and better with more animation and more characters. That would also create more jobs but to develop the game further, it needs more funding.

    “The game the way it stands now still is in alpha stage. It’s still a prototype so the funding we are looking for will help us push it to next level so we can add more polish to the game and keep expanding features and get it to point where we can put our stamp of approval on it and feel like it is more of a finished product,” says Hyper Hippo’s community manager Ryan Loerke.

    To help raise the funds, the gaming studio has turned to Kickstarter, a crowd funding website that allows people to donate as little as five dollars towards the campaign. Hyper hippo hopes to raise 24-thousand dollars to take the game to the next level and create more jobs.

    “The more successful that our campaign is and the game, the more we will have to expand on it and the more that it will create jobs because as the game grows, we need more designers and artists and quality testers,” says Loerke.

    With the success of studios like Hyper Hippo and Club Penguin which was purchased by Disney several years ago, Kelowna is rapidly becoming a high tech hub. A trend, those in the know say, the city is ready for.

    “People don’t realize how much of a tech presence and how many people in Kelowna have skills as designers, animators, programmers so the people are out there. The more opportunities we can present them, the more we help sustain a viable work place for them,” says Loerke.

    The Kickstarter campaign starts on June 24th and goes for 30 days. Hyper Hippo hopes to raise 24 thousand dollars in that time.

    Once the game is developed further, Hyper Hippo hopes it eventually goes from being a free online game to a paid one.

    Continue reading WATCH: New game hopes to create more Kelowna jobs
     
  • admin 13:15 on 29/09/2019  

    Thrift shop owners in Chilliwack are looking for the right home for a $5,000 wheelchair.

    John and Bev Hood run StreetHope New & Used and say the wheelchair was donated to them a year and a half ago.

    The Quickie Rhythm electric wheelchair is in excellent condition and would work for someone with limited mobility as it is joystick operated and does not take a lot of muscle strength to use.

    “A wheelchair like this is a special need item. We want it to go to someone who needs it,” says John Hood.


    Story continues below

    HangZhou Night Net

    Hood say they have given away six mobility scooters in the last two and a half years.

    The first scooter went to a 84-year-old woman who had a hip replacement surgery and suffers from osteoporosis.

    “For her to get out of her house with her walker and go to a corner store, she was exhausted,” says Hood.

    The last scooter was donated last month to a 74-year-old man who lost his leg to diabetes.

    “All he had was a walker. But because of the financial situation, he could not afford to get anything more than that.”

    Still, the Hoods just have not been able to give away the wheelchair.

    The Hoods say they want to give it to someone in real need.

    “Someone who is stuck in the cracks. They don’t have enough money to buy one or the government is not giving them one. It is just to help them regain their autonomy.”

    For more information, go to StreetHope New & Used Facebook page.

    Continue reading Chilliwack thrift shop owners are looking for a good home for $5,000 wheelchair – BC
     
c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
esc
cancel